Discipleship (Matthew 28:19) in Academic Medicine
Academic Discipleship Task Force Chairs:
- Richard M. Allman, MD, Clinical Professor of Medicine, George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences and Professor Emeritus of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- David L. Larson, MD, Emeritus Professor of Plastic Surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin and Accreditation Field Representative, Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education
Academic Discipleship Task Force Members:
- Andre M. Cipta, MD, Assistant Professor of Clinical Science, Kaiser Permanente Bernard Tyson School of Medicine
- Andrea Johnson, MD, MS, Assistant Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern
- Setty M. Magana, MD, PhD, Assistant Professor of Pediatric Neurology, The Ohio State University School of Medicine
- Kim-Lien Nguyen, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine and Radiology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System
Formed to encourage intentional discussions on faith, fellowship, and medicine and to provide a framework for peer discipleship, the inaugural small groups, termed Quad Squads (QS), were launched in March 2020. Groups participated in a four-week, Zoom-based, discipleship program, that connected members from all disciplines and sections of the country. Based on the success of QS 1.0 and a survey of participants, a four-month QS 2.0 was inaugurated in September 2020. QS 2.0 focused on discipleship, using Pastor Greg Ogden’s work. Based on feedback from QS 2.0, we will be launching QS 3.0 in March 2022.
QS 3.0 differs from QS 2.0 by following a simple template that includes: (1) opening prayer, (2) reading of assigned verses and meditation that is related to a commutable or incommutable attribute of God (e.g., His beauty, His omnipotence, His righteousness, His freedom, etc.), (3) open discussion by QS members of how this attribute has been incorporated into their academic life since the last meeting, and (4) closing prayer.
If you are interested in joining QS 3.0 or joining the Task Force, please send us a note via the "Contact Us" tab.